Pages

Monday 2 September 2013

MOBA Revival

So I've had a change of mind about LOL, previously I was mourning because of my massive losing streak and I was even having second thoughts about continuing playing. You have to understand that the game I most played when I was growing up was Neverwinter nights, that was the game that I continually thought about during most of my waking hours. The game itself is based off Dungeons and Dragons rules so you have many different classes that you can choose to piece together, different skills, abilities and feats.


The complexity of thought that can be compacted into single character is immense, I would spend hours planning to character build only to see a flaw and have to plan it again until I had gotten the right balance and I would make many different character builds and then out of all the finished character builds I made I would pick some to play. Plus for every server there are different types of classes that are more dominant so I would make different characters for different servers. To sum it all up - the game was one giant puzzle.

That is why I would usually never get into MOBA's, I mean you have to do some thinking about your champion before you play but the decisions you make about your build while you play must be quick, it isn't so much a puzzle that you ponder for hours as it is a very fluid environment that is constantly changing. You must adapt as the game moves forward, react to ambushes and plan your own and to top it all off once you finish the game you have to start all over again with no substantial increase in power (which goes against my MMO mindset).


Now I realize I have changed a lot in my gaming desires, I no longer want to immerse myself in a game, spending hours building up a single character. I now want a game that requires less time and requires more skill and intelligence which I believe LOL is. So this morning Ashley (my younger brother) asked to play with me again and I complied not really being that interested and in our first game one of our players was AFK and the whole game turned out to be a total mess, but I realized something important.

I had been taking them way too seriously, games are for having fun and I had been playing very seriously which equated to playing passive and not taking any chances, which is not good if you plan to have fun and neither is it good if you want to be a great player I believe. So with my new mindset I set into our second game and even though we lost overall I had a great time!


During the game Ashley and myself playing duo bot dominated our lane and mid was doing well too but sadly top wasn't doing so well and our team didn't really do much to help our singed against their nasus either so nasus ended up getting massive damage on his siphoning strike and won the game for the enemy. Even so the way I played that game, taking risks and not being so serious left me feeling much happier.

The third and last game I played this night was also duo bot Ash/Zyra with Ashley and we won at last! It was a bit embarrassing because we were a bit too highly ranked for them I think and ended up creaming them.

And so my journey in League of Legends continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment