Pages

Wednesday 17 February 2016

Public thoughts and Life Direction

So I was listening to a podcast where Tim Ferriss interviewed Seth Godin. They were talking about adding value to peoples lives which a lot of people who Tim interviews seem to talk about. Anyway one thing Seth said to do was to write one blog post everyday. From what I can recall the reasoning behind his advice was to add value to the people who read the posts and also to develop personally.

I believe the way he described it developing you personally was that if you take a stand on something everyday publicly - that act will help you grow personally. I figure I am butchering everything he said but I kind of get what he means. When you write your thoughts out and you do it in public where everyone can see it and hold you accountable it is suddenly another part of you that is real.

It's like you are a jigsaw puzzle except you are the one who creates your pieces and decides where they go. If you choose to make your jigsaw puzzle in the dark and never show anyone then the significance plummets. But if you choose to work in the light so you can see what you are doing and everyone else can too then it has so much more power.

Only you can decide what pieces you create, where you put them and who to show. So why not do your best under the light?

---

Haha beware the cheesiness!

Well that took a turn, but it was meaningful. I've just finished my Chiropractic degree (graduated last night) and with all this choice before me I've been sort of directionless. Well I guess I have some direction but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. It seems like for every decision I make I have something to lose and even though I could give myself some amazing advice if I wasn't myself (complicated) it's hard to listen to yourself in these situations.

It's like when you are a kid and you see your parents doing all these things and you say "When I grow up and have children I would do right by them and not do all this rubbish". But then you grow up and realize how freaking hard things can really be and what your parents did doesn't seem so bad. Plus I'm not even a parent yet so I don't know the half of it.

In effect I know I should just sacrifice things to move forward but I'm more afraid of losing things than I thought I would be when I was just an onlooker. For everything you do in life there are plus's and minus's and no one reaches their death bed after living a long life without loss so why not just go for it? In the end you'll only have yourself to blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment